As long as I can remember, we’ve always had a salad bowl on our dinner table, nothing fancy just lettuce and tomatoes from our garden, something simple but healthy and very refreshing that encouraged me to eat greens as a child. I’m so used to eating them that every day I have some kind of salad.
These Chicken & Mushroom Lettuce Wraps are a more delicate and appealing salad recipe. They can be eaten as an entrée or as a well-balanced dinner. This is the beginning of a lot of baby lettuce wraps for you! I find them quick and easy to rustle up for guests in the summer because let’s face it the last thing you want to do is to cook in a warm kitchen in the summer! You can prepare the chicken and mushrooms in advance and then simply spoon the mixture in to the lettuce leaves with your favourite vinaigrette.
I recommend you to use Little Gem Lettuce Hearts but you can make it with any small lettuce leaves. It’s important to blend together all the ingredients for the vinaigrette. Below, I’ve posted the delicious avocado vinaigrette recipe I made for these wraps, I don’t think you’ll notice the avocado but it’s an important ingredient because it gives the sauce a nice, creamy texture.
I think I’ve mentioned before that I love avocados. They’re an excellent source of healthy fats and it’s a versatile fruit to keep in your kitchen. Also, you can buy a couple of unripened avocados in your supermarket and in a few days they will be ripe for use. However, if you need to accelerate the process you can follow my trick: place them inside a paper bag with one apple and in 2-3 days they’re ready to eat.
If you’re unsure how to use avocados why not to start the day with a fresh Guacamole Toast?
How did it turn out for you? Leave your comments below. I look forward to seeing your pictures on Instagram with the hasgtag #shoothecook! See you soon.
- 6 lettuce leaves or 3 little gem lettuce in halves
- 2 (200 g) chicken breast, diced in 1cm pieces
- 6 mushrooms, finely sliced
- 6 cherries, halved
- 1 boiled egg, boiled for 8'
- - Avocado Vinaigrette -
- 1/2 ripe avocado, mashed with a fork
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tsp of Dijon mustard
- 4 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp of apple or white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1/2 tsp of chilli flakes (optional)
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan. Add the chicken and cook over a high heat for 3-5' or until it is brown. Set aside.
- Use the same pan to fry the sliced mushrooms, add 1 tbsp of oil and cook over a medium heat for 5' or until soft. Set aside.
- Halve and pit the avocados, scoop the flesh into a bowl. Mash it with a fork until smooth and stir in the other ingredients. Beat well with a whisk or in a blender.
- Combine the diced chicken and mushrooms with the cherries and egg. Arrange the lettuce leaves on a big plate. Spoon in a generous amount over each leaf and just before serving pour the vinaigrette over the baskets.
- *A useful trick to halve and pit avocados quickly is to cut them in halves and then turn each half in one direction and it will open easily. Then extract the pit with a sharp knife.
- *If you want to lighten the vinaigrette just add a bit more olive oil.
- *If you have any Avocado sauce left I think it's a tasty addition with roasted sweet potatoes or sprinkled over Beetroot green salad.