I have been trying to write this post for a long time but for a very good reason, firstly I had to find the perfect chickpea hummus recipe. I eat hummus every now and then and chickpea hummuss the traditional recipe and the quickest to make, only 5′ guys! Every time I made this recipe I made some changes until I found the recipe for the perfect taste and texture.
What is chickpea hummus? It is basically a creamy and hearty paste that tastes like chickpeas, its main ingredient. Some common ingredients such as garlic, lemon juice and my favourite ingredient ground cumin are also added to enhance the flavour. The result you can imagine, is delicious but I want to hear your opinion so try it out and leave your thoughts below.Recipe CardRecipe Card
- 240g of drained canned chickpeas or cooked at home
- 1/2 cup water or liquid from cooking your chickpeas
- 1 medium garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tbsp tahini paste (optional, it is a sesame paste)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 3-4 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika (a bit more to garnish the dip)
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil (a bit more to garnish the dip)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds to garnish
- Drain the chickpeas and rinse. Set aside a few whole chickpeas for garnishing.
- Combine chickpeas, tahini paste, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, cumin and water in a food processor, and blend until the hummus is coarsely pureed.
- Add salt to taste and also you can add more lemon juice, garlic or cumin if you want.
- To serve, put it in a bowl and drizzle it with olive oil and sprinkle with paprika and sesame seeds. Serve with your choice of bread, I love pitta bread.
If you have gone to any Lebanese restaurant, hummus is often one of their specialities as it is a traditional dish from Lebanon. My chickpea hummus is quite close to the traditional recipe but with a few tweaks to adapt it to my friends and family taste. Also Hummus is a play safe dip in party food.
Now that you know my secret to the best chickpea hummus bake your crispy tortilla chips at home in only 10′. These combo will have everyone raving!