Winter is back and with it our table comfortable soups, stews and every hot pot. Let’s start the season with a Curried Pumpkin Soup, it is tasty, healthy and you feel great after a generous hot bowl.
If you are into curries, this may be the perfect dish for you to try this month and for those that avoid curry this is a chance to use a small quantity and taste it in this smooth and tasty pumpkin soup. The curry is a good addition to pumpkin soups because this vegetable can be very sweet so curry gives it a bit of depth of flavour.
If you still think this soup is going to be too hot for you let me assure you that it is not hot at all, some people even find it difficult to taste the curry. But if you love curry don’t hold you back and add and extra spoon of curry to your pot.
I enjoy this soup for dinner, it is very creamy and it really leaves you warm and full after a bowl. I like soup to be thick but not so much that they resemble cream. The most important thing for me in my soups is that they are smooth. Curried Pumpkin Soup is very light and nutritious, curry is the only additional ingredient in it. No cream is added, the only flavours you will taste are vegetables with a soft curry touch.
For some people soups are boring and hard to photograph. I don’t know why but I like them. It is true that you may have to be a bit more inventive and find some toppings that make it look more appetizing. I used fried peppers that are great with this soup but as you can see they didn’t last on the surface for very long. You have to be super quick or cheat and put a small bowl inside the soup to avoid the pepper from sinking. See more photography tricks on the blog that will make you life easier.
With this curried pumpkin soup we start the hot pot season in Shoot the Cook. I hope you like it and I’ll love to hear how it turn out in your comments. Friends! Be ready for a great day after warming up your body with this delicious pumpkin soup.
- 600 g, (1 ud.) butternut pumpkin, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 (150 g) small potatoes, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 tsp of curry powder
- 1L of warm water
- 1 tsp of salt
- Cook onions in a wide pot with 2 tbsp of oil over a medium heat, until softened, around 5'.
- Add the carrots, the pumpkin and the potatoes to the pot. Sautée the vegetables for 10' stirring occasionally.
- Add the curry and stir until combined, then pour in 1l of warm water put the lid on and cook for 30' over a medium heat with the lid on.
- Blend the mixture in a blender. Top it with fried peppers or serve with some bread.
- *If you want a thick consistency take out 1/2 cup of liquid before you blend it.
- *If you like curry I recommend you to add 2 tsp.
- *I think you can make it with any pumpkin type.