There are thousands of curries and thousands of recipes out there. I have been looking for a Quick and Healthy Chicken Curry Recipe for a long time, a recipe that you can cook within 35′ with everyday ingredients. After a lot of experimenting I finally wrote down this Healthy Chicken Curry Recipe.
This would also be a great dish for lunches and dinners with your friends, you don’t have to make a starter and a main, this chicken curry is satisfying enough on its own.
The method is pretty simple, cook the rice in advance and give it an extra touch by squeezing some lime juice and then just follow a few simple steps to make an insanely creamy curry without using any fancy ingredients just chicken, curry powder and milk. If you’ve never cooked curry at home, now is the time to take the plunge and surprise yourself and your guests with this hearty Healthy & Quick Chicken Curry recipe.
Do you think it’s not going to be creamy if we don’t add cream? I used to add cream to my curries and then felt guilty so said I would try to substitute it with milk. The result is a lighter sauce that nicely covers the rice and makes it really tasty and moist and more importantly: lower in calories.
I love it’s flavour, well-balanced and just a bit spicy. I think there is just enough spice so you start feeling warm then you stop eating for a couple of minutes and then you dig in again. I’m sure you will love this recipe. This is our dish today and if you don’t like a spicy dish you can leave them out of the recipe, (see ingredients list)
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below. I’m sure you did a great job!
If you are looking forward to another quick & delicious recipe check my Quinoa Stir-fry with Mushrooms and Courgette
- - Chicken Curry -
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 mushrooms (100 g), sliced
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp of all purpose flour (sub. gluten free flour or cornstarch)
- 3/4 cup milk (you can use coconut or any other nut milk)
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 400g chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup (60 g) cashews
- ground black pepper to taste
- springs of coriander or parsley to garnish
- - Basmati rice -
- 1 cup (150 g) of brown or white basmati rice
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1/2 lime juiced (sub lemon juice)
- For the Basmati Rice: heat 1 Tbsp of oil in a saucepan and sauté the garlic cloves until golden.
- Add the rice and stir for 2'. It helps the grains to remain intact.
- Pour in the water and bring to the boil, then add the salt and cook over a medium heat for 30'. (I recommend that you follow the cooking instructions on the pack.
- Drain the rice and squeeze the lime over. Set aside.
- To cook the Chicken Curry: heat 4 Tbsp of oil in a large pan and add the garlic, when they start to brown add the onion and the salt. Cook for 10' or until the onion is transparent.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 2'. Add the curry powder and the flour, stir well for a couple minutes.
- Stir in the milk and the water, simmer over a low heat for 5' until the sauce has started to thicken. Then add 1/2 tsp of salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Using the same pan or another, cook the chicken pieces with a bit of oil until golden brown. Add the cashews and brown them a bit. Be careful not to burn them.
- Pour in the curry sauce and cook with the chicken for 5'.
- To serve, place the rice on the bottom of the plate and then add the curry and the chicken pieces on top. Garnish with fresh herbs and some chilli flakes.
- *If you are making it in advance, don't allow the curry sauce to thicken a lot because when you reheat it, it will thicken also
- *Don't panic when you look at my photos, the rice is pink but it is just because I have the crazy idea of mixing brown basmati rice with wild red rice. It taste the same but if you are taking photos I won't recommend this mix of colours.