Until today, I have always followed my mum´s cheescake. It’s not a secret recipe, it’s a typical one made from cream cheese and 1/2l of double cream, let’s be honest mum we can’t say it’s a healthy dessert! I have to say it goes down a treat with everybody. Thanks for all those cakes mummy! But now, it’s time to try my lighter cheesecake recipe (sorry mum!), you will be surprised to see how good it tastes, I promise!
Let’s start with this Insanely Creamy Yogurt Cheesecake it’s flavours will leave you astounded! It’s a small cake (approx. 4 servings), depending on how big you like your portions! Don’t worry if you can’t resist a second portion, it’s also refined sugar-free, gluten free and suitable for vegan so please don’t feel guilty if you crave a second helping of this amazing Yogurt cheesecake.
It’s super simple and it takes only 15′ to mix everything together and then you need to leave it to set for 4 hours in the fridge before enjoying it. Waiting for a cake to set is always the worst part, I know. I just realised you don’t need a blender to make this recipe, even better!
The strawberry topping is the icing on the cake , it is a marinade of strawberries with lemon juice and cinnamon. By using a few jelly sheets we’ll get the perfect red top layer, it helps to keep the fresh fruit flavours intact. You can use this strawberry topping in other desserts as a healthier option to processed jams.
With the following ingredients, you will make a 10-15cm cake (approx 3-4 servings) I think you are going to finish it within two days but if you want you can also freeze it for when you have a cheesecake craving!
It is creamy, sweet, fruity, sweet, delicious and surprisingly healthy. I love it so much. Who would’ve thought that Cheesecake could be a healthy dessert?
If you have an insatiable appetite for creamy desserts, I suggest you subscribe to the blog to be updated with a healty and delicious Chocolate mousse within the next weeks!
- 150 g cream cheese
- 25 g brown sugar or panela (See other brown sugar types under recipe notes)
- 90 g natural yogurt (you can use Greek yogurt as well)
- 3 jelly sheets, dissolved in 2 tbsp of warm water
- - Biscuit Base -
- 5 (40 g) biscuits (Digestive type)
- 15-20 g of unsalted butter (sub. vegan butter)
- - Vegan Walnut Crust -
- 1/2 cup (100 g) pitted dates
- 1/2 cup (60 g) walnuts
- 1 tsp honey, add more to taste
- - Strawberry Topping -
- 3 big fresh strawberries, finely sliced
- 1 jelly sheet
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- Take a 15 cm loose-base cake tin. If you don't have one cover a regular tin with a big piece of film and pour in the mixture so you can take it out easily afterwards.
- ....Biscuit Base....
- Warm up the butter in the microwave for 50'' or in a pan until it's soft.
- Blend the biscuits into fine crumbs (you can also do it with a fork). Then, in a bowl mix it with the butter until you form a dough, if it is too dry to form a dough add a bit more melted butter.
- Spread the mixture into the tin pressing down with your hand until it forms a perfect and compact layer, you can place a piece of baking paper on top to make it easier. Set aside.
- ....Vegan Walnut Crust....
- Mix dates, chopped walnuts and honey in a food processor to make a sticky mixture.
- Pour the mixture in to a tin and spread it until you cover all the base pressing down with your hand until it forms a perfect and compact layer, you can place a piece of baking paper on top to make it easier. Set aside.
- For the Yogurt & Cheese filling beat the cream cheese and sugar with a whisk in a bowl.
- Then add the yogurt and mix until smooth.
- Meanwhile pour in 2 Tbsp of warm water over the jelly sheet in a small bowl, leave to dissolve for 4', then add this liquid to the yogurt mixture and stir it well.
- Spoon the mixture over the biscuit base and smooth carefully with the spoon.
- For the Strawberry top layer pour 1/2 cup of water in a bowl. Add the sugar, lemon juice , cinnamon and stir well.
- Add the strawberries and leave to marinade between 1-2 hours.
- Take out the strawberries and put them on top of the cake, you can follow the pattern shown in the photos above or do your own version.
- Heat up the remaining liquid in a saucepan over medium heat for 5' or until it starts to boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, dissolve one jelly sheet in cold water for 4' and when it is a bit soft add it to the saucepan. Stir until completely dissolved and finally pour it over the cake carefully to cover the strawberry slices.
- Allow to set in the fridge for 4 hours before enjoying your first healthy cheesecake.
- *In brown sugar, there are many hidden ingredients. But did you know that some brown sugar brands are nothing more than refined white sugar coated with molasses that give it its dark colour? Because of this, I recommend that you use the following brown sugar: Muscuvado, Demerra or turbinado Sugar. It can be a bit more difficult to find them but it's worth the effort.