Are you in a healthy mood? I am, but I also wanted something tasty. I am going to turn a classic green bean recipe in to a delicious Sauteed green beans with garlic and almonds. I enjoyed this hearty dish and I love the garlic flavour. It is perfect for any healthy diet, you can take out the parmesan cheese to make it lighter but just a bit makes it very tasty.
If you have a favourite vegetable it is a good idea to have more than one way to cook it or mix it with different ingredients so you don’t get bored. I love French beans and they are the first thing that comes in to my mind when I’m thinking of ingredients for my recipes. I have added them to many of my dishes such as: potato salad, noodles, rice with chicken…but my last successful experiment with green beans was this Salmon en papillote with crispy vegetables, simple but so flavoursome. As you can see green beans are my go to vegetable. They were my staple ingredient and I cook this amazing Sauteed green beans with garlic & almonds to give it a different mix of flavours and textures.
This recipes takes about 20′ and can be served on its own or with a portion of cooked quinoa ,brown rice or other grains for a more wholesome dish. I made mine with quinoa because the small seeds combined with the almond and garlic dressing are very tasty. My other recommendation for this Sauteed green beans with garlic is to add a pinch of chilli flakes if you like spicy food. They also make the dish more colourful which is a must if you are taking photos of it.
Would you eat it hot or cold? It was a hot dish for me until yesterday. By the time I finished taking photos it was as cold as a salad. I had a bite of the beans and to my surprise it was really good. From now on I’m going to eat them cold for summer and hot in winter. How do you like them? Please, let me know in the comments below.
I hope to see your photos on Instagram with the hashtag #shoothecook. See you amazing readers!
- 450-500g green beans (I used fresh beans), washed and ends removed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- - Garlic & Almond Dressing -
- 4 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 5 Tbsp sliced almonds
- 2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes (optional, add more to taste)
- 4 Tbsp lemon juice
- 5 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Garlic & almond dressing: heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the sliced garlic and sauté until they turn brown. In 5' they will be ready. Set aside.
- Add the almonds to the same saucepan and sauté for 3'. Set aside.
- Keep some garlic and almonds to decorate the dish at the end.
- In a small bowl add the garlic, the almonds, the cheese, salt and chilli flakes. Mash until broken in to small pieces. Transfer to a small bowl and pour in lemon juice and the olive oil. Stir well and set aside.
- For the French beans: sautee the beans in a sauce pan with 1 Tbsp of olive oil over a medium heat for 10' or until soft.
- Pour the garlic dressing over the green beans and stir to combine a couple minutes.
- *If you are going to eat them cold I recommend that you decrease the cooking time of the beans so they are more crunchy.