I know salads are more for summer months but I would say that this Blue Cheese Salad with walnuts is perfect all year round especially on a cold winter’s day. I’m a salad addict and even in winter my green salads are part of my dinner 3 out of 7 days. I don’t eat salads because they are healthy, I do so because I love them.
How did I fall in love with this Blue Cheese salad?
1.I went mad for the mix of textures: the crisp gem lettuce, the crunchy walnuts and on the other side the smooth pieces of the blue cheese.
2.I loved the mix of sweet and savoury flavours that blue cheese and grapes create here.
3.It is a well balanced salad, it has a variety of nutrients from the greens, the nuts and the fruit. Just don’t overloaded it with blue cheese.
This recipe is one of my special salads and I usually make it for my family and friends when we get together. Last Christmas it was such a success that I think I’ll make it again this year because it’s not complicated to make and even the kids ate this salad. This Blue Cheese Salad with walnuts can be modified to your own tastes and to what ingredients are in season. For Christmas this year I will probably add some pomegranate seeds.
Who is up for trying this new blue cheese salad? The greens are lettuce & cherries, the protein is the blue cheese and the toppings are grapes, walnuts and a honey-mustard dressing. Can you imagine those delicious ingredients together? Yes, it is insanely delicious.
This salad is very hearty and because it has blue cheese but I wouldn’t recommend that you eat it every day but it is a delicious dinner that you can enjoy from time to time or as a sharing dish. It is packed with all the nutrients that your body needs thanks to the greens, nuts and the grapes. If you love salads have a look to my favourite Salad recipes.
- 2 little gem lettuces, chopped
- 1 boiled egg, quartered
- 15 red and white grapes, halved
- 80 g blue cheese, cubed
- 8-10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 Tbsp chopped walnuts
- 2 Tbsp raisins
- - Honey & Mustard Dressing -
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp yellow mustard or your favourite type
- 2 tsp honey
- Arange the lettuce on a big serving dish, add the halved cherry tomatoes on top. Then add the boiled egg, the blue cheese chunks and the grapes.
- Finally decorate it with raisins and chopped walnuts.
- For the honey-mustard dressing put the oil and the other ingredients into a glass and stir with a folk until well combined.
- Spoon it over the salad and mix to combine. It is ready to be served.
- *If you don't have walnuts feel free to add other nuts such us almonds or hazelnuts.
- *Cherry tomatoes or any other variety are perfect for this salad but just make sure that the tomatoes are mature.
This Blue Cheese salad can be the starter of any of your celebration dinners. I didn’t mention how good it looks, isn’t it gorgeous ? You can use your own imagination and present it your own way. Every day is perfect to share a special dinner. Share a photo of your salad with #shoothcook on Instagram, I look forward to seeing your photos!